Definition of kelpfish in English:
noun (plural same or kelpfishes)
Any of a number of fish that live among kelp or other marine algae, in particular.
- ● A small fish with the dorsal fin running the length of the body, of the Pacific coast of North America (Gibbonsia and other genera, family Clinidae). ● An Australian fish that lives among seagrass and algae (family Chironemidae: several genera).
- Little blennies popped in and out of holes, and eastern kelpfish and stinky groupers were much in evidence.
- Most are small fish, measuring as little as 5 cm, but Heterostichus rostratus, or giant kelpfish, can reach 60 cm.
- Kelpfish use their colour and acting skills to blend in with the leaves of kelp.
Definition of kelpfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan