Definition of keratinize in English:
Change or become changed into a form containing keratin: [with object]: the products of the epidermal line are ultimately keratinized [no object]: the cells keratinize under estrogenic action
More example sentences
- Tumors that arise distally below the dentate line are typically keratinizing squamous cell cancers.
- Earliest changes in the hair follicle occur when the follicular canal becomes blocked with abnormally keratinized desquamating cells.
- The stratum corneum, the top layer, is composed of dead keratinized cells.
- Example sentences
- Occasionally, the reactive keratinocytes may show individual keratinization and nonatypical mitosis.
- Two of the subjects had keratinization of the palms, and one had keratinization of the feet.
- Neoplastic cells may be oval, polyhedral, spindle-shaped, or giant, although in an undifferentiated carcinoma they present as small cells without keratinization.
Pronunciation: /ˌkerəˌt(ə)nəˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌkerətnˌīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Late 19th century: from Greek keratinos 'horny' + -ize.
Definition of keratinize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.