Definition of kerf in English:
1A slit made by cutting, especially with a saw.
- I cut a series of kerfs in the notch area and knocked out the waste with a chisel and mallet.
- First, a notch or kerf is cut using a laser or another diamond.
- What is needed is a power handsaw that can cut a kerf immediately adjacent to a corner juncture defined by a horizontal surface and a vertical surface.
Old English cyrf 'cutting, a cut'; related to carve.
- Example sentences
- Board insulation is usually 1 to 2 inches thick and is cut or kerfed to fit between metal ties in cavity walls.
Definition of kerf in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan