- Any of three related compounds (acetone, acetoacetic acid, beta-hydroxybutyric acid) produced during the metabolism of fats.More example sentences
- In the liver the net result (due to increased acetyl-CoA levels) is the production of ketone bodies.
- Glucose is the main fuel used by the brain, but research has shown that neonates are able to use ketone bodies, lactate and maybe amino acids for oxidation.
- Laboratory findings reveal high blood sugar and glucose in the urine and as the metabolic derangement worsens, excessive ketone bodies in the blood and urine.
More definitions of ketone bodyDefinition of ketone body in:
- The British & World English dictionary