Definition of keypunch in English:
A device for transferring data by means of punching holes or notches on a series of cards or paper tape.
- I first learned to type on a keypunch machine in my father's office.
- It turns out that this was an error, apparently an entry mistake by a keypunch operator.
- When the library was started, the Stanford University computing center was a little building with keypunch machines and a line printer.
verb[with object] Back to top
Put into the form of punched cards or paper tape by means of a keypunch.
- With this in mind, think of all the time logisticians have spent over the years looking up codes, determining addresses, handwriting or keypunching data, or supervising those who perform these tasks.
- ‘Tickets went into a bucket at the top of the jetway and were boxed and keypunched in Juarez, Mexico,’ says Kellner.
- Gloria's first job, fresh out of high school, was to keypunch data secured from dairy barns around the state.
- Example sentences
- She was married right after high school and went to work as a receptionist and keypuncher at a brokerage house.
- A job of about 2,000 postcards is divided and assigned to 10 external keypunchers to finish in about four hours.
- I was employed as a keypuncher, and would return home in the evenings and work on the book.
Words that rhyme with keypunchhoneybunch
Definition of keypunch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan