1 [usually treated as plural] A collective term for the Khoikhoi (Hottentot) and San (Bushmen) peoples of southern Africa.
- In southern Africa, the Khoisan were pushed all the way to the southern tip of the continent.
- The first inhabitants of Mozambique were hunters and gatherers, ancestors of the Khoisan now found in South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia.
- The Bushmen, or Khoisan, or hunter-gatherer Khoi, were a physically similar but culturally distinct people who lived contiguously with the Khoikhoi.
Relating to the Khoisan or their languages.
- Members of the Khoisan language groups are the oldest surviving inhabitants of the land, but only a few are left in South Africa today - and they are located in the western sections.
- However, the policy also promotes the use and development of sign language and ‘heritage languages’ such as Khoisan and Indian languages.
- Essentially I am trying to represent her story through living people - people who reflect her and her spirit, such as contemporary Khoisan people.
Definition of Khoisan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.