Definition of Kikongo in English:
Either of two similar Bantu languages spoken in Congo, the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire), and adjacent areas.
- Six of the Bantu languages were selected as national languages: Chokwe, Kikongo, Kimbundo, Mbunda, Oxikuanyama, and Umbundu.
- Other major languages include Swahili, Lingala, Kikongo, and Tshiluba.
- Lingala, Kikongo, Sangha, and Bateke are the most widely spoken native languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Kikongo.
- In 1956 another Redemptorist published the first edition of an extremely influential Kikongo history of Kongo, relating that the first Kongo had probably migrated from Egypt.
- The Kikongo word phemba denotes ‘the one who gives children in-potentia.’
- In 1992, Kikongo speakers in all countries numbered 3,217,000, the majority of whom lived in Angola.
The name in Kikongo.
Definition of Kikongo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.