(also killdeer plover)
A widespread American plover with a plaintive call that resembles its name.
- Charadrius vociferus, family Charadriidae
More example sentences
- However, there were plenty of resident shorebirds hanging out in the lagoon as well, such as the American coot, killdeer, and American avocet.
- Mallards, ring-necked ducks, killdeer, marbled godwits, and peregrine falcons settle in for the fall.
- In addition, killdeer, pipits and some shorebirds visit the grassy areas of landfills.
mid 18th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of killdeer in:
- The British & World English dictionary