Definition of killifish in English:
noun (plural same or killifishes)
A small carplike fish of fresh, brackish, or salt water, typically brightly colored. They are mainly native to America and include many popular aquarium fishes.
- Families Fundulidae and Cyprinodontidae, which include numerous genera of egg-laying killifishes
- Each year since 1960, more than 35 tropical American species of fishes, including catfishes, characins, electric fishes, killifishes, and cichlids, have been newly described and named.
- Like other visitors, he sees the bustle of life around the mudflats from clams, snails, and crabs, to shorebirds and long-legged waders, and gobies and killifish in the shallows of the estuary.
- The only primarily freshwater killifish in the Northeast is banded killifish.
Definition of killifish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.