(British kilometre , abbreviation km)
A metric unit of measurement equal to 1,000 meters (approximately 0.62 miles).
- A meter is about three feet and three inches and a kilometer equals about six tenths of a mile.
- As with metres and kilometres, we need some new units, or we'd need a lot of zeroes!
- Next we will be having our speedometers changed from miles per hour to kilometres per hour.
- Example sentences
- The HST images were obtained during a campaign by the Cassini spacecraft to measure the solar wind approaching Saturn and the Saturn kilometric emissions.
- Normal displacements are pervasive from the millimetric to the kilometric scales.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of kilometer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.