A school or class that prepares children for first grade. A child in kindergarten is typically 5 or 6 years old.
- In North America, kindergartens are often found in large buildings, typically in the same building as primary grades.
- His dream was finally realized when the state mandated the existence of public school kindergartens in every school district.
- Little Johnny was in his kindergarten class when the teacher asked the children what their fathers did for a living.
kindergartener (also kindergartner) noun
- Example sentences
- The diminished status of the language specialist is acknowledged in the following comment from an ELA teacher who works with kindergartners.
- These stories outline the basic requirements for kindergartners through high schoolers, as well as for school athletes and college students.
- With the exception of one student, all, including my kindergartners, became competent readers in Spanish.
Mid 19th century: from German, literally 'children's garden'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.