Definition of kingfish in English:
noun (plural same or kingfishes)
1Any of a number of large sporting fish, many of which are edible.
- Trio of hapuka, salmon and kingfish each individually prepared and presented on a large platter.
- The menu board also features Caribbean classics like oxtail stew, red snapper, kingfish and curried goat.
- At night, as you dine by oil lamp on kingfish, pilau rice and tropical fruits, the fishing boats set forth once more like Viking ships, their prows cutting through the waves and paddles fighting with the swell.
1.1A fish of the jack family (Carangidae), including the yellowtail kingfish (Seriola grandis) of the South Pacific.
- Simon Griffiths proudly displays the 4.5kg yellow-tail kingfish he caught off Evans Head on Sunday.
- In South Australia, there's a similar conflict of opinion over a different species, yellowtail kingfish.
- When fishing for yellowtail kingfish with balloons, I use small water balloons as I have found the wind drag on bigger balloons can sometimes put too much stress on the livebait.
1.2 (northern kingfish) A fish of the drum family (Menticirrhus saxatilis, family Sciaenidae), of the east coast of North America.
- On the Gulf Coast, there is another, less regal looking kingfish, but it is part of the drum family.
- This family includes 200 or more species, some of whose members will be found under drum (another general name), kingfish, and meagre.
- The northern kingfish has irregular dark bars on its sides, which the other species lacks.
1.3A western Atlantic fish of the mackerel family (Scomberomorus cavalla, family Scombridae).
- Large pelagic fish such as kingfish (Scombridae), sailfish and marlin (Istiophoridae), shark (Carcharhinidae) and ray (Dasyatidae) are caught using lines, drift and bottom set gillnets.
- King mackerel or kingfish are highly anticipated every spring and fall all along the St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay coast.
- A single red snapper with thick, tubular lips, a pair of ugly-looking scorpion fish, a half-dozen pink-scaled mullet, the more streamlined grey bream and finally the kingfish, like an overgrown mackerel with a long pointed snout.
Words that rhyme with kingfishstiffish • jellyfish
Definition of kingfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.