Definition of kiskadee in English:
A large tyrant flycatcher with a black-and-white-striped head and bright yellow breast, found mainly in tropical America.
- The greater kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus) and the lesser kiskadee (Philohydor lictor), family Tyrannidae
- A member of the flycatcher family, the kiskadee was introduced into Bermuda in the 1950s and is now a year-round resident.
- The bright, lemon yellow great kiskadee, found in abundance, was introduced in the 1950s and is both easy to spot and easy to hear.
- I can't decide whether wild chickens should be as unremarkable as kiskadees or cockroaches, or whether they bring a somewhat third world ambiance to the Island and would be better rounded up and made into a nice curry.
Late 19th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of kiskadee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.