A small nocturnal fox with a yellowish-gray back and large, close-set ears, found in the deserts and plains of the southwestern US.
- Vulpes macrotis, family Canidae
More example sentences
- They became the first naturalists to describe several animals, including the coyote, kit fox, Oregon bobcat and the wolf of the plains.
- A kit fox family alone may use up to 50 burrows in a season, moving its young every few days.
- California's third largest forest is home to more than 20 threatened and endangered species, such as the San Joaquin kit fox, the hybrid blunt-nosed leopard lizard and the California condor.
early 19th century: kit probably from kit2 (because of its small size).
Definition of kit fox in:
- The British & World English dictionary