Definition of knawel in English:
A low-growing inconspicuous plant of the pink family, growing in temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
- Genus Scleranthus, family Caryophyllaceae
- I saw no shepherd's purse after December 27th, but knawel was in flower as late as January 18th.
- Other related species include stitchwort and chickweed, catchflies, knawels, pearlworts and sea-spurreys.
- Self-pollination allows for distinct races to develop and several sub-species of annual knawel have been recognised, however their status in Ireland has not been investigated.
Late 16th century: from German Knauel, Knäuel 'knotgrass'.
Words that rhyme with knawelwithdrawal
Definition of knawel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan