- A bearlike arboreal Australian marsupial that has thick gray fur and feeds on eucalyptus leaves. Also called native bear in Australia.
More example sentences
- Phascolarctos cinereus, the only member of the family Phascolarctidae
- I was surrounded by at least a dozen baby kangaroos, wallabies, or koalas all my life.
- This year's Olympic Games turned the world's eye to the country of koalas and kangaroos.
- Well the koala is an Australian icon when it comes to tourism.
early 19th century: from Dharuk.
In nontechnical contexts, koala bear (as opposed to koala) is widely used. Zoologists, however, regard this form as incorrect on the grounds that, despite appearances, koalas are completely unrelated to bears.
More definitions of koalaDefinition of koala in:
- The British & World English dictionary