noun (plural same or kokanees)
- A sockeye salmon of a dwarf variety that lives in landlocked lakes in western North America.More example sentences
- Migrating kokanee salmon experience a comparable elevation in plasma cortisol compared to the levels seen in ocean-run species.
- It was about fifteen inches long, a healthy length for a mature kokanee, but smaller than its coastal doppelgänger, the sockeye.
- The sockeye are very similar to kokanee salmon, which do not migrate and spend their entire lives in Redfish Lake.
late 19th century: from Interior Salish.
More definitions of kokaneeDefinition of kokanee in:
- The British & World English dictionary