- A small shrimplike planktonic crustacean of the open seas. It is eaten by a number of larger animals, notably the baleen whales.
More example sentences
- Meganyctiphanes norvegica, class Malacostraca
- Frazer determined that sea ice algae were the main food source of larval krill during winter.
- The acid is found in organisms, including sardines and krill that eat the algae and that are in turn eaten by the squid.
- But in years of no sea ice, what krill the researchers found were significantly larger.
early 20th century: from Norwegian kril 'young fry of fish'.
More definitions of krillDefinition of krill in:
- The British & World English dictionary