(also kudzu vine)
Definition of kudzu in English:
A quick-growing eastern Asian climbing plant with reddish-purple flowers, used as a fodder crop and for erosion control. It has become a pest in the southeastern US.
- Pueraria lobata, family Leguminosae
- The scrub that borders the tracks is overgrown with kudzu, an imported plant that strangles the natives.
- This is a lesson that Southern farmers would have done well to remember when they were planting kudzu in the thirties.
- Of course, a plant could have too many survival skills - look at kudzu here in the South, for example.
Late 19th century: from Japanese kuzu.
Definition of kudzu in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan