noun (plural same or kwanzas)
- The basic monetary unit of Angola, equal to 100 lwei.More example sentences
- In contrast, the Angolan kwanza and the Nigerian naira have depreciated against the US dollar over the period which may have protected their competitiveness.
- The private weekly papers are difficult to come by outside of Luanda; in any case, a third of Angolan adults cannot read, and few can afford papers that sell on the street for 120 kwanzas.
- On every street corner, gangs of female money changers wave fat wads of kwanzas in the air, the fluctuating exchange rate testimony to the vagaries of the war economy.
perhaps from a Swahili word meaning 'first'.
More definitions of kwanzaDefinition of kwanza in:
- The British & World English dictionary