Excessive outward curvature of the spine, causing hunching of the back. Compare with lordosis.
More example sentences
- Patients with postural kyphosis can generally correct the kyphosis by making a conscious effort to do so.
- The symptoms of kyphosis may resemble other spinal conditions or deformities, or may be a result of an injury or infection.
- Kyphosis is a progressive disorder that can affect children or adults in the thoracic or cervical spine.
mid 19th century: from Greek kuphōsis, from kuphos 'bent, hunchbacked'.
- More example sentences
- Vertebroplasty makes no attempt to restore height and correct the kyphotic deformity which results from an osteoporotic compression fracture.
- However, having said that, I remember reading about whether their doctor would correct the kyphotic curve in addition to the scoliosis.
- If asked to lift up both hands, this person will sink into a posterior pelvic tilt and kyphotic seated position, in an attempt to maintain sitting balance.
More definitions of kyphosisDefinition of kyphosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary