Definition of lacquer tree in English:
An eastern Asian tree with white sap that turns dark on exposure to air, producing a hard-wearing varnish traditionally used in lacquerware.
- Rhus verniciflua, family Anacardiaceae
- Lacquer is gathered from lacquer trees which are over 10 years of age and are over 10 cm in diameter.
- One lacquer tree yields only about one cup of raw lacquer during the half-year collection period.
- The loss of the lacquer trees is one of the reasons that the traditional art of lacquerware-making has almost ceased.
Definition of lacquer tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia