Definition of lactobacillus in English:
noun (plural lactobacilli /-ˈsiˌlī, -ˈsiˌlē/)Biology
A rod-shaped bacterium that produces lactic acid from the fermentation of carbohydrates.
- Genus Lactobacillus; nonmotile Gram-postive bacteria
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- In my practice, I find that most bloated stomachs are caused by ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut, which you can combat by having a small pot a day of live natural yoghurt containing the probiotic bacteria lactobacilli, bifidus or acidophilus.
- These are likely to be unhelpful to women with bacterial vaginosis because the lactobacilli are directed at the wrong anatomical site and are of the wrong kind.
Definition of lactobacillus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan