1A structure consisting of a series of bars or steps between two upright lengths of wood, metal, or rope, used for climbing up or down something.
- You run around climbing ladders, shimmying across ropes and running from one platform to another, collecting gems while avoiding the bad guys.
- Leaves in different parts of the canopy were accessed with ladders, climbing ropes, and a hydraulic lift, to facilitate photosynthetic measurements with hand-held instruments.
- Entrance for the others by means of climbing ropes or ladders over the wall would be possible, but they needed a quick exit route, and hoped to be carrying Grenwald, bound and gagged as they left.
1.1A series of ascending stages by which someone or something may advance or progress: employees on their way up the career ladder
More example sentences
- As she climbs the corporate ladder to the top, Kate also grows to love her gentleman caller.
- They needed to prove that women were just as determined as men to ascend the corporate ladder.
- Excluded from society, essentially cut out of her aunt's will, Lily descends the social ladder.
2British (In tights or stockings) a run.
- She's a social climber with ladders in her stockings but a good heart.
- In our house, a clear-out involves binning the odd pair of tights with more ladders than Bob The Builder, or removing a bunch of long-dead flowers from a vase.
- They had to be mended by hand or taken to one of shops in the city where a young woman repaired ladders in silk stockings using a special stand and hook.
Words that rhyme with ladderadder, bladder, khaddar, madder
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.