A small beetle with a domed back, typically red or yellow with black spots. Both the adults and larvae are important predators of aphids.
- Family Coccinellidae: several genera and species, including the familiar convergent ladybug (Hippodamia convergens)
More example sentences
- Green lacewings, like ladybugs, diminish aphid and mealybug populations, as well as thrips.
- After the read aloud, the text was extended as children examined pictures of a cricket, a ground beetle, and ladybugs, and they made comments and comparisons.
- They are multicolored Asian ladybugs or ladybird beetles, first introduced to the southern United States to control aphids.
Definition of ladybug in:
- The British & World English dictionary