- A porphyritic igneous rock consisting of a fine-grained feldspathic groundmass with phenocrysts chiefly of biotite.More example sentences
- It has also been found in silica-poor igneous rocks, such as syenite, nepheline syenite, serpentinite, and lamprophyre.
- The only known igneous rocks in the area are Permian periodotite and lamprophyre dikes as well as diatremes of ultramafic composition associated with the Fluorite district.
- Subordinate volumes of carbonatite and lamprophyre magmas are also present.
late 19th century: from Greek lampros 'bright, shining' + porphureos 'purple'.
More definitions of lamprophyreDefinition of lamprophyre in:
- The British & World English dictionary