- A small elongated marine invertebrate that resembles a fish but lacks jaws and obvious sense organs. Lancelets possess a notochord and are among the most primitive chordates.
More example sentences
- Subphylum Cephalochordata, phylum Chordata: several species, including amphioxus
- Biologists could examine the many living animals (such as lancelets and sea squirts) that represented stages in the transition from the invertebrates to the earliest jawless fishes.
- In lancelets, the trunk somites extend and fuse ventrally to give the unsegmented periviscelar coelom.
- Unlike lancelets, however, Haikouella possessed a small number of pharyngeal bars that may have been composed of mucocartilage, as in modern lampreys.
More definitions of lanceletDefinition of lancelet in:
- The British & World English dictionary