1A wind-powered wheeled vehicle with sails, used for recreation and competition.
- The CPS has had to establish what legal status a sail powered land yacht comes under and investigate ancient by-laws covering the use of the beach and the legal responsibilities of the club and the council.
- Last night they were racing a land yacht over the aerodrome until nearly midnight and Kraig was out on the quad racer until I came and spoiled his fun (must hide those keys).
- In 1962, he was invited to join Rotary, where he passed on his ideas for the madcap Henley-on-Todd Regatta, which had sprung from an idea for a land yacht at the infrequently used airstrip in the early days.
1.1North American informal A large car: the bechromed land yachts of the 1950s
More example sentences
- Throughout the 1950s and '60s, Americans were enjoying the golden age of the behemoth land yacht - the age of the Cadillac Sedan DeVille and the Lincoln Town Car - that signaled a different sense of self than the SUV.
- While running errands the other day I pulled up behind a vintage, red, convertible Cadillac land yacht.
- And when the ladies' lumbering land yacht runs out of petrol, they coincidentally find themselves at Bradley's doorstep.
Definition of land yacht in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.