1An arrival at land on a sea or air journey.
- In calm seas and glorious weather, the ship made landfall off the abandoned whaling station of Grytviken, and secured to the Admiralty buoy in Cumberland Bay.
- By the middle of the 19th century this hat reached universal acceptance, and the crown of the hat became considerably higher, with sailors decorating the crown with badges obtained from various landfalls.
- Said to be the original landfall of Christopher Columbus, it is graced with elegant Bermudian and colonial-style buildings.
- Example sentences
- In fact, 1985, we had six landfalling hurricanes in the United States, plus two tropical storms.
- A group of researches has, in this hurricane, put a vehicle in the path of a landfalling hurricane.
- Regardless, if the hurricane activity continues being busy over the next several years, conditions will switch around to where Florida sees the brunt of the landfalling systems again.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of landfall in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.