1The sliding down of a mass of earth or rock from a mountain or cliff.
- Kelvin slid down the muddy slope, a landslide of earth, rock and ferns pushing him to the foot of the rise.
- Flash flooding caused bridges to collapse and landslides are blocking roads to devastated coastal villages.
- Troops were deployed in helicopters after landslides and collapsed buildings blocked roads.
2An overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election: winning the election by a landslide [as modifier]: a landslide victory
More example sentences
- I maintain that if any mainstream political party were to embrace the above they would win the next General Election by a landslide.
- The NLD won the 1990 general election by a landslide but has since been blocked from coming to power.
- He also inaugurated his own War on Poverty, winning the 1964 election by a landslide.
decisive victory, overwhelming majority, triumph, sweep
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.