Definition of landslide in English:
1The sliding down of a mass of earth or rock from a mountain or cliff.
- Kelvin slid down the muddy slope, a landslide of earth, rock and ferns pushing him to the foot of the rise.
- Flash flooding caused bridges to collapse and landslides are blocking roads to devastated coastal villages.
- Troops were deployed in helicopters after landslides and collapsed buildings blocked roads.
2An overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election: winning the election by a landslide [as modifier]: a landslide victory
More example sentences
- I maintain that if any mainstream political party were to embrace the above they would win the next General Election by a landslide.
- The NLD won the 1990 general election by a landslide but has since been blocked from coming to power.
- He also inaugurated his own War on Poverty, winning the 1964 election by a landslide.
decisive victory, overwhelming majority, triumph, sweep
Words that rhyme with landslidecowhide • allied • bolide
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.