Entry from British & World English dictionary
1(Among Sikhs) a communal free kitchen: a regular langar has been started for all those who visit the temple
More example sentences
- He visited the langars (community kitchens) put up by voluntary groups and inquired about the eatables provided to the yatries.
- According to Sikh tradition, the Guru had converted the house of a dead Muslim into a masjid and set up a langar (common kitchen) for the poor.
- Mata Khivi was the wife of Guru Angad Dev and was in charge of the langar (community kitchen).
1.1A communal meal.
- The kirtan was followed up by a langar - a communal meal provided by a local Sikh temple.
- The first initiative for relief came from local communities, mostly Hindus and from Gurudwaras who brought the first meal and organised langars.
- Shabad kirtans are sung and langar (community meals) hosted during the festival at the Gurdwara Sir Guru Singh Sabha at Perumanoor, Thevara.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.