Definition of lantern jaw in English:
A long, thin jaw and prominent chin.
- He was tall and lean and bald, with a square lantern jaw and extremely dark skin that shimmered in the sweltering heat.
- The huge man's head seemed tiny in comparison to his heavily-muscled body and it sported a lantern jaw, features that might have been carved from stone and dead eyes of the same shade as the smaller hammer man.
- The stern tone of Hoss' voice and the way his lantern jaw was hardening caused the mouth Adam had just opened in protest to shut again without uttering a word.
- Example sentences
- The living spectre of the macho, lantern-jawed actor who, depending on which source you refer to, may or may not become an octogenarian in October, keeps returning to haunt me like the Holy Ghost.
- There at the lectern stood this tall lantern-jawed man, every inch the twelve-year Marine Corps veteran he was, who looked and spoke just exactly like a bulldogging high school football coach.
- I have been cycling along the beach track for several months now, in the hope that the too-fleshy photo above will soon be replaced by my new, lantern-jawed Californian incarnation.
Definition of lantern jaw in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan