- Rock fragments ejected from a volcano.More example sentences
- Some matrix ash samples were also analysed to ensure that the complete geochemical range could be assessed, and where lapilli were not available.
- We infer that the framework through which transport took place consists of lapilli lodged within elutriation networks similar to those observed in the field (vertical ‘pipes’ having elongated sheet-like forms in three dimensions).
- We thought they might be lapilli - little volcanic hailstones that form when you have an eruption of volcanic ash and it coagulates and falls out.
mid 18th century (in the general sense 'stones, pebbles'): via Italian from Latin, plural of lapillus, diminutive of lapis 'stone'.
More definitions of lapilliDefinition of lapilli in:
- The British & World English dictionary