A large plover, typically having a black and white head and underparts and a loud call.
- Genus Vanellus, family Charadriidae: several species, in particular the northern lapwing (V. vanellus) of Eurasia (also called green plover or pewit), which has a dark green back and a crest
More example sentences
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- The development of this wildlife site is ongoing with new hides to aid the study and photography of shelduck, dunlin, lapwing, golden plover and shoveller duck that have recently bred on Mangan's Lough.
- The moorland blaze has come at a bad time for ground-nesting birds such as golden plovers, curlews, lapwings and merlins, a rare bird of prey.
More definitions of lapwingDefinition of lapwing in:
- The British & World English dictionary