Definition of larrikin in English:
1A boisterous, often badly behaved young man.
- Some of us decided that we would ourselves try to discourage larrikins, at least those of them who appeared on our own doorsteps.
- For one thing, the stewards are less tolerant of larrikins these days.
- All of this belies the jocular public persona he presents - the outspoken larrikin with an acerbic wit, strong views, a black sense of humour, a love of food and old American cars, and a loathing of sport.
1.1A person with apparent disregard for convention; a maverick: [as modifier]: the larrikin trade union leader
More example sentences
- On arrival he was struck by the light, the shock jocks that ruled the Sydney airwaves, and - most bizarre of all in a country that prided itself on a rather larrikin disregard for authority - the overriding obedience to rules.
- Telling the story of the label's origins was winemaker Kevin Judd, one of the original larrikin winemakers who was responsible for creating the Cloudy Bay wine style and who continues to be the company's chief winemaker.
- It's visually poetic, whimsical and has a larrikin charm.
Words that rhyme with larrikinminikin • Zworykin
Definition of larrikin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.