(also purple laver)
An edible seaweed with thin sheetlike fronds of a reddish-purple and green color that becomes black when dry. Laver typically grows on exposed shores, but in Japan it is cultivated in estuaries.
- Porphyra umbilicaulis, division Rhodophyta
- The best known are the cockles of the Glamorgan sands and laver, edible seaweed that is gathered around the south and west coasts.
- The recipe calls for minced pork and prawn spread on a nori (sheet of dried laver seaweed), deep-fried, and then brushed with soy sauce-based sweet sauce.
- Modern laver farming in Japan was established and mass production became possible.
Late Old English (as the name of a water plant mentioned by Pliny), from Latin. The current sense dates from the early 17th century.
Words that rhyme with laverAva, caver, craver, deva, engraver, enslaver, favour (US favor), flavour (US flavor), graver, haver, paver, quaver, raver, saver, savour (US savor), shaver, vena cava, waiver, waver
nounarchaic or literary
1A basin or similar container used for washing oneself.
- For although a circular water container would not be unusual, this basin of water could easily have been called simply a basin or laver, as was the case with the simpler original.
- Hand washing was sometimes done at a laver or built-in basin in a recess in the hall entrance, with a projecting trough.
1.1(In biblical use) a large brass bowl for the ritual ablutions of Jewish priests.
- Then made he ten lavers of brass: one laver contained forty baths: and every laver was four cubits: and upon every one of the ten bases one laver.
- This name ‘sea’ for the laver parallels the name of the laver which was set up in Babylonian temples and called apsu, the word for the water surrounding and under the earth.’
- He made also bases, and lavers made he upon the bases; One sea, and twelve oxen under it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan