An area of short, mown grass in a yard, garden, or park.
- In my yard, several square yards of lawn disappear each year to make room for more rosebushes.
- It is the most shaded area of the garden so lawn was never going to be very successful.
- At the moment the gardens are mainly in lawn with a patio area, mature trees and shrubs.
- Example sentences
- A much improved and spacious three bedroomed family house with good-sized sunny lawned rear garden.
- Outside are extensive lawned gardens with superb views to the north western fells of the Lake District.
- Steps and cobbled walkways lead down through the gardens from the farmhouses to the lawned pool terrace.
A fine linen or cotton fabric used for making clothes.
- Spliced with a dash of crisp white linen or lawn cotton, though, it becomes sharp, chic and seductive.
- I can't visit without buying at least two printed cotton lawn quilts at give away prices.
- Her white lawn dress with sprigs of green flowers fit tightly at the waist and cascaded to the floor.
Middle English: probably from Laon, the name of a city in France important for linen manufacture.