Definition of lawyer in English:
A person who practices or studies law; an attorney or a counselor.
- Despite the pleas of defence lawyers, the attorney general appeared to do nothing to urge restraint.
- The Attorney general is a lawyer employed by the government of the day to provide legal advice that his client asks for.
- That only can be given to a representative or solicitor or a lawyer, or a court official.
verb[no object] North American Back to top
1Practice law; work as a lawyer: (as noun lawyering) lawyering is a craft that takes a long time to become proficient at
More example sentences
- ‘The objective is to internalize pro bono lawyering as part of our psyche as well as part of our profession,’ he said.
- However, from watching her ‘host’ tonight's programming, it is clearly obvious that she has zero media potential, and should go back to lawyering.
- The fact is that although the Prime Minister was elected to lead the country, he never stopped lawyering on the side.
1.1 [with object] (Of a lawyer) work on the legal aspects of (a contract, lawsuit, etc.): there is always a danger that the deal will be lawyered to death
More example sentences
- The heavily lawyered press release is very suspicious and leads one to conclude that he had in fact divulged the information.
- Of course, the judge cannot have had any intention of overseeing half-a-million mini-trials on causation, nor can they have had any intention of lawyering them.
- This idea may not even require a Memorandum of Understanding, a heavily lawyered process that failed other cities in the past.
- Example sentences
- His lawyerly grasp of a brief on every subject gives him the edge over questioners every time.
- In practice, this lawyerly distinction hasn't worked.
- Eventually they believe that there must be something to the charges because the endless parsing of it sounds lawyerly, desperate and boring.
Words that rhyme with lawyerannoyer, Boyer, destroyer, employer, enjoyer, Goya, hoya, Nagoya, paranoia, sequoia, soya
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan