Definition of lead the field in English:
1Be the leader in a race.
- Tour leader Pierre Brambilla looked set for victory as he led the field on the morning of the last day.
- She didn't disappoint the capacity crowd at the Sydney aquatic centre as she led the field for the entire race to win in a time of 1.58.24.
- First out of the blocks in the Tory leadership race, he leads the field.
1.1Be the best or most popular: in the executive car group, this model leads the field
More example sentences
- But boys were in front on maths, leading the field in most countries.
- On the sports front the Weekender continues to lead the field in local coverage, particularly in recent years with Liam Maloney in the sports editor's chair.
- In terms of individual models, Toyota's Tazz and Corolla once again lead the field with 2236 and 1406 sales respectively.
Definition of lead the field in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan