Definition of lead the field in English:
1Be the leader in a race.
- Tour leader Pierre Brambilla looked set for victory as he led the field on the morning of the last day.
- She didn't disappoint the capacity crowd at the Sydney aquatic centre as she led the field for the entire race to win in a time of 1.58.24.
- First out of the blocks in the Tory leadership race, he leads the field.
1.1Be the best or most popular: in the executive car group, this model leads the field
More example sentences
- But boys were in front on maths, leading the field in most countries.
- On the sports front the Weekender continues to lead the field in local coverage, particularly in recent years with Liam Maloney in the sports editor's chair.
- In terms of individual models, Toyota's Tazz and Corolla once again lead the field with 2236 and 1406 sales respectively.
Definition of lead the field in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.