1Go first along a route to show someone the way.
- Lance, still bursting with enthusiasm, led the way along the perimeter fence.
- Businessman John Innes leads the way along a narrow dirt track, overgrown with chest-high grass and twisting vines, illustrating immediately the attraction to tourists keen to see for themselves the scenes of war.
- She shrugs without much enthusiasm then leads the way along a narrow hallway.
guide someone, conduct someone, show someone the way
1.1Be a pioneer in a particular activity.
- At present Europe leads the way in developing alternative and sustainable energy and in designing energy-efficient technologies from central heating to hi-fi systems.
- Four York primary schools are leading the way in developing methods of teaching foreign languages to young children.
- The US is leading the way, both in development of technology and take-up rates of internet commerce.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.