Definition of leafcutter ant in English:
A tropical ant that cuts pieces from leaves and carries them back to the nest for use as a culture medium for growing food fungi.
- Genus Atta, family Formicidae
- They ate emperor moth caterpillars, toasted giant leafcutter ants, black Himalayan ants from China, mealworms, chocolate-covered ants, fish eyes, whitebait, tripe, eels, and snails.
- ‘Take for instance the society of the leafcutter ants and their communal leaf fungus.’
- New World tropical leafcutter ants create colossal underground metropolises, each housing several million workers that tend huge fungus gardens.
Definition of leafcutter ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan