(also leatherback turtle)
Definition of leatherback in English:
A very large black turtle with a thick leathery shell, living chiefly in tropical seas.
- Dermochelys coriacea, the only member of the family Dermochelyidae
- In 1988, a leatherback was found measuring nine feet in length and weighing nearly 2,000 pounds.
- Scientists estimate in about ten years all leatherback turtles in the Pacific Ocean may be gone.
- The most distinguishing morphological characteristics of leatherbacks are their large size and dark color.
Definition of leatherback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan