Definition of leatherjacket in English:
1Any of a number of tough-skinned marine fishes, in particular.
- ● A fish of the jack family (Carangidae), in particular a slender fish of American coastal waters, with a greenish back and a bright yellow tail (Oligoplites saurus). ● A filefish or triggerfish (family Balistidae).
- The wharf's pylons are shrouded in vivid sponges, host crabs, nudibranchs and pygmy leatherjackets - tiny fish that hang on to weed or sponge by their teeth.
- The leatherjackets and wrasses continued their work below them, as tiny tubularia hydroids waved their tentacles from the hull.
- Mosaic leatherjackets hovered, asleep in nearly every steel beam.
2The tough-skinned larva of a large crane fly. It lives in the soil, where it feeds on plant matter and can seriously damage the roots of grasses and crops.
- Genus Tipula, family Tipulidae
- For the past several years leatherjackets have been a problem for most coastal nurseries.
- A cultural control to use is covering a well-watered patch of grass overnight with a sheet of black plastic or a tarpaulin, so the leatherjackets rise to the surface into the moist space.
- In August gardeners may see clouds of daddy-long-legs emerging from lawns in the early morning and this, as well as the listed damage, are sure signs of leatherjacket infestation.
Definition of leatherjacket in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan