Definition of leatherjacket in English:
1Any of a number of tough-skinned marine fishes, in particular.
- ● A fish of the jack family (Carangidae), in particular a slender fish of American coastal waters, with a greenish back and a bright yellow tail (Oligoplites saurus). ● A filefish or triggerfish (family Balistidae).
- The wharf's pylons are shrouded in vivid sponges, host crabs, nudibranchs and pygmy leatherjackets - tiny fish that hang on to weed or sponge by their teeth.
- The leatherjackets and wrasses continued their work below them, as tiny tubularia hydroids waved their tentacles from the hull.
- Mosaic leatherjackets hovered, asleep in nearly every steel beam.
2The tough-skinned larva of a large crane fly. It lives in the soil, where it feeds on plant matter and can seriously damage the roots of grasses and crops.
- Genus Tipula, family Tipulidae
- For the past several years leatherjackets have been a problem for most coastal nurseries.
- A cultural control to use is covering a well-watered patch of grass overnight with a sheet of black plastic or a tarpaulin, so the leatherjackets rise to the surface into the moist space.
- In August gardeners may see clouds of daddy-long-legs emerging from lawns in the early morning and this, as well as the listed damage, are sure signs of leatherjacket infestation.
Words that rhyme with leatherjacketstraitjacket • lifejacket
Definition of leatherjacket in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.