Definition of lechwe in English:
noun (plural same)
A rough-coated grazing antelope with pointed hooves and long horns, found in swampy grassland in southern Africa and Sudan.
- Genus Kobus, family Bovidae: two species, in particular K. leche
- A group of red lechwe jumping and scattering in different directions can quickly confuse a lion.
- Kafue lechwe are happiest standing in up to 50 cm depth of water, only coming out to rest or calve.
- The lechwe reaches almost six feet long, about 42 inches at the shoulder, and weighs up to 270 pounds.
mid 19th century: from Setswana.
Definition of lechwe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan