Definition of ledger in English:
1A book or other collection of financial accounts of a particular type: the total balance of the purchases ledger
More example sentences
- These two ledgers were scanned and the optimized images imported.
- There are times when items will go directly to the general ledger without any subledger posting.
- If you want to have a look at these ledgers or the cash book hit one of the hotwords below.
2A flat stone slab covering a grave.
- Photographs show her on her bier and her ledger stone carved with her name.
- George VI's coffin lies beneath a black marble ledger stone, which has had the dates of the Queen Mother's birth and death added to it.
- Mullins' grave, covered by a large, brown granite ledger, is behind the headstone.
3A horizontal scaffolding pole, parallel to the face of a building.
- The girder is in a position parallel to the ledger and supports the opposite end of the joists.
- The top men did the scaffolding - with their poles and their ledgers.
- To do this you need to make marks, called layout marks, on the ledger and girder that show where each joist will be located.
Words that rhyme with ledgerdredger, edger, hedger, pledger, St Leger
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.