Definition of ledger in English:
1A book or other collection of financial accounts of a particular type: the total balance of the purchases ledger
More example sentences
- These two ledgers were scanned and the optimized images imported.
- There are times when items will go directly to the general ledger without any subledger posting.
- If you want to have a look at these ledgers or the cash book hit one of the hotwords below.
2A flat stone slab covering a grave.
- Photographs show her on her bier and her ledger stone carved with her name.
- George VI's coffin lies beneath a black marble ledger stone, which has had the dates of the Queen Mother's birth and death added to it.
- Mullins' grave, covered by a large, brown granite ledger, is behind the headstone.
3A horizontal scaffolding pole, parallel to the face of a building.
- The girder is in a position parallel to the ledger and supports the opposite end of the joists.
- The top men did the scaffolding - with their poles and their ledgers.
- To do this you need to make marks, called layout marks, on the ledger and girder that show where each joist will be located.