- A member of a legion, in particular an ancient Roman legion or the French Foreign Legion.More example sentences
- It is kind of a risky thing to write a pop song about a legionnaire stuck in a desert.
- The name annuity dates back to Roman legionnaires who were paid an annual pension when they retired from the army.
- The lowest level of soldier in the Roman Army was the legionnaire.
early 19th century: from French légionnaire, from légion 'legion', from Latin legio (see legion).
More definitions of legionnaireDefinition of legionnaire in:
- The British & World English dictionary