Support for a ruler whose claim to a throne is based on direct descent.
More example sentences
- The milieu of moderate liberalism certainly shaped Tocqueville's views on the inevitability of the democratic revolution, and hence his decisive break with legitimism and his family.
- In the face of the Jane Grey débâcle, the Norfolk gentry were persuaded of her Tudor legitimism; they learned the extent of her Catholicism only after she was safely enthroned at Westminster.
legitimist noun& adjective
- More example sentences
- His mother, always prone to periods of melancholy and depression, mourned the Old Regime and believed that the legitimists could reconquer France and restore both the royal line and true religion.
- In the Academy of Rennes, legitimists attended certain Catholic schools.
Definition of legitimism in:
- The British & World English dictionary