Definition of legume in English:
1A leguminous plant, especially one grown as a crop.
- We are aware of no such studies of wild legumes growing in uncultivated soils.
- He's also seeded pastures with legumes like alfalfa and red and white clovers.
- Not only can we produce our own nitrogen by growing legumes, but we can actually rebuild the health of our soils.
1.1A seed, pod, or other edible part of a leguminous plant used as food.
- Folate is found in dark green leafy vegetables, beans and legumes and citrus fruits.
- It is high in cereal grains, legumes and root vegetables and restricts simple sugar and fats.
- Foods high in dietary fibre may include whole grains, legumes, vegetables, and fruits.
1.2 Botany The long seedpod of a leguminous plant.
- More information is needed to understand how the pod wall or seed coat tissues in legumes provide these functions; a sound structural foundation should help in this effort.
- In many legumes, seeds are arranged linearly within the pod, making it relatively simple to study the effect of position of the ovule on seed abortion and seed set.
- Seed coat cells in the developing seeds of grain legumes release nutrients to the developing embryo.
Words that rhyme with legumevolume • costume
Definition of legume in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan