Words that rhyme with lekbeck, bedeck, check, cheque, Chiang Kai-shek, crosscheck, Czech, deck, dreck, exec, fleck, heck, hitech, keck, neck, peck, Québec, rec, reck, sec, sneck, spec, speck, spot-check, tec, tech, Toulouse-Lautrec, trek, wreck
A patch of ground used for communal display in the breeding season by the males of certain birds and mammals, especially black grouse. Each male defends a small territory in order to attract females for mating.
- Groups of males form leks, or display grounds in the tundra breeding areas.
- Males gather on a communal breeding ground, or lek, to display for females.
- Males utilize bright mating colorations when displaying on the lek and contribute only genes to their progeny.
verb[no object] (usually as adjective lekking) Back to top
Take part in a communal breeding display on a lek: antelopes mate in lekking grounds
More example sentences
- If this is so, then a female mating with a lekking male may be avoiding the less healthy males of the population by default.
- Hermits usually form leks and congregate on traditional lekking grounds, where females visit to choose a mate.
- Such simultaneous sampling may be common in lekking and chorusing species, which have been the subjects of many studies of sexual selection.
Late 19th century: perhaps from Swedish leka 'to play'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan