The basic monetary unit of Albania, equal to 100 qindarkas.
Words that rhyme with lekbeck, bedeck, check, cheque, Chiang Kai-shek, crosscheck, Czech, deck, dreck, exec, fleck, heck, hitech, keck, neck, peck, Québec, rec, reck, sec, sneck, spec, speck, spot-check, tec, tech, Toulouse-Lautrec, trek, wreck
A patch of ground used for communal display in the breeding season by the males of certain birds and mammals, especially black grouse. Each male defends a small territory in order to attract females for mating.
- Groups of males form leks, or display grounds in the tundra breeding areas.
- Males gather on a communal breeding ground, or lek, to display for females.
- Males utilize bright mating colorations when displaying on the lek and contribute only genes to their progeny.
verb[no object] (usually as adjective lekking) Back to top
Take part in a communal breeding display on a lek: antelopes mate in lekking grounds
More example sentences
- If this is so, then a female mating with a lekking male may be avoiding the less healthy males of the population by default.
- Hermits usually form leks and congregate on traditional lekking grounds, where females visit to choose a mate.
- Such simultaneous sampling may be common in lekking and chorusing species, which have been the subjects of many studies of sexual selection.
Late 19th century: perhaps from Swedish leka 'to play'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.