Definition of lemon in English:
- Fried fish was accompanied by the juice of bitter oranges or lemons or by greensauce.
- Put cherries and orange slices into a kettle and add the lemon juice and sugar.
- Crush the avocado with the lemon juice, salt and pepper, and spread thickly on the bread.
- No one made me hot lemon drinks or brought me books to read, or showed the slightest sign of sympathy.
- I was told to go home and drink hot lemon because all I had was the common cold.
- Although lemon tea is a healthy drink, if your father doesn't like it, of course he will be angry.
- Citrus limon, family Rutaceae
- One is across the pool, next to the lemon tree that looks out over the canyon.
- I keep raving about our magical lemon tree but I keep forgetting to bring any of its produce to her.
- There is a lemon tree just outside our kitchen window that delivers an abundance of big juicy fruit twice a year.
- Behind glazed double doors, the family room is decorated in pale lemon and floored in solid oak.
- A houndstooth wool anchored the season, with touches of dusty rose and pale lemon.
- It's an Australian plant naturalised in Spain having flowers of lemon yellow to deep gold.
- As a result you are stuck holding some real lemons - and the prospect of widespread industrial chaos - as we move into an election year.
- Example sentences
- Its sour, lemony flavour meant it was a traditional substitute when lemons were out of season.
- Andrew said his cheesecake was not too tangy but nice and lemony, and the ice-cream was a delicious accompaniment.
- We ate the smoky, lemony vegetables slightly warm, while the basil still had all its peppery, clove-like scent.
The root of lemon and also lime (mid 17th century) is an Arabic word, lim, that was a collective term for citrus fruit. On fruit machines the lemon is the least valuable symbol, and this may be behind the answer is a lemon ‘the response or outcome is unsatisfactory’. Especially in the USA, a lemon may be a substandard or defective car, of the type all too often bought from shady used-car dealers.
Words that rhyme with lemonleman, Lemmon, Yemen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.